Translate

Wednesday 31 July 2013

Apple Macintosh SE restoration






I've been lovingly restoring a Vintage Apple Macintosh SE for the past year, I got it as spares or repairs from a computer liquidizing company that sell old office computers. I also got the hard drive separate which was fault and still doesn't work very well. It came with OS 6 and no programs at all apart from Word and Paint.





A few weeks (maybe months) Later I managed to win a Macintosh LC bundle (screen, keyboard, mouse, microphone, computer) for £40. all I wanted was the hard drive which had OS 7 on it and worked without needing to be tampered with. also I wanted the Ram sticks and peripherals and the neat boxed microphone and apple adapters that I could use with my iPad! I sold the screen for £20 and the keyboard for £20 instantly making my money back. I stripped down the LC and added the 800k drive to my SE as well as the hard drive.

Moment of truth, I turned it on for the first time with its new hard drive and two 800k drives. it beeped, and the happy mac face popped up.  lots of new things happened on boot up and then suddenly the desktop loaded up. to my surprise there was a folder called games!






I clicked on the folder expecting some card games, I was right until I scrolled down a little bit and found Lode runner, Mac man, shuffle puck, missile, Risk, and a folder full of text based games like start trek adventures and other RPGs.

I clicked on macman and it loaded up perfectly, I was playing in seconds. Same with loadrunner!
I also had a sound playing program that played the star trek Theme!!!! how cool is that?!

My Mac has since become a useful tool and I play my games on it and use it to write new 800k disks.

I also managed to buy a copy of Zork I by infocom!


The SE is my favorite Apple machine and I have an Apple macbook pro...!

It inspired me to make my modded Macintosh and to also look into more apple products, I have read lots of blogs about them and also watched all the Steve Jobs interviews because of it. Although its a shame that everyone who seems to own the vintage Macs seems to be so pessimistic about getting them to work right or getting new programs on them from new machines. I'm sure someone could build an interface or establish a link between the two. I have seen mac SE's browsing the internet and I think there should be more information about how this can be done.

No comments:

Post a Comment